1. Which of the following features is shared by all living organisms?
a. Cell wall
b. DNA or RNA
d. Membrane bound organelles
Answer: b. DNA or RNA
2. Which of the following is utilized by all living organisms?
c. ADP as cellular energy
d. A triplet genetic code to produce proteins
Answer: d. A triplet genetic code to produce proteins
3. Which of the following is the defining feature of all the living organisms?
Answer: b. Metabolism
4. The number of common characteristics are the maximum in which of the following taxon?
Answer: c. Family
5. As we go from species to the kingdom in a taxonomic hierarchy; the number of common characteristics will:
a. Remains constant
d. May increase or decrease
Answer: c. Decrease
6. Where is the famous botanical garden “Kew” located?
Answer: a. England
7. The Birds taxonomically represent:
Answer: c. Class
Recommended: Living World Practice Test
8. Who is known as the Darwin of the 20th century?
a. Julian Huxley
b. Carlous Linnaeus
d. Ernst Mayr
Answer: d. Ernst Mayr
9. Which of the Following taxonomic aid provides information for the identification of names of species found in an area?
Answer: b. Manual
10. The family Felidae includes:
d. All of these
Answer: d. All of these
11. The term Taxon is used for:
a. The ranks of species and genus
b. Any rank of taxonomic hierarchy
c. The species epithet
d. The ranks up to phylum
Answer: b. Any rank of taxonomic hierarchy
12. Which of the following is the assemblage of families with common features?
Answer: d. Order
13. Choose the incorrectly associated pair from the following:
Answer: c. Amoeba-fragmentation
14. Non-living objects exhibit:
a. Property of self-reproduction
c. Self-regulating interactive system
d. Reversible growth
Answer: d. Reversible growth
15. Which of the following is less general in characters as compared to genus
Answer: a. Species
16. “Taxon” is the unit of which of the following?
Answer: b. Taxonomy
17. Who coined the term phylum specifically for animals?
a. Charles Darwin
b. Ernst Haeckel
Answer: b. Ernst Haeckel
18. A group of plants or animals with similar traits of any rank is:
Answer: a. Taxon
19. Choose the correct sequence of taxonomic categories:
a. Division, class, family, tribe, order, genus, species
b. Phylum, order, class, tribe, family, genus, species
c. Division, class, order, family, tribe, genus, species
d. Class, phylum, tribe, order, family, genus, species
Answer: c. Division, class, order, family, tribe, genus, species
20. Energy flow and energy transformations in the living system strictly conform to the:
a. Biogenetic law
b. Law of limiting factor
c. Law of thermodynamics
d. Liebig’s law of minimum
Answer: c. Law of thermodynamics