1. How do amoebae move?
Answer: a. Pseudopodia
2. Who is regarded as father of microbiology?
b. Robert hook
c. Loius Pasteur
d. Robert Koch
Answer: a. Leeuwenhoek
3. Which of the following scientist coined the term virus in in 1998?
a. Dmitri Ivanovsky
b. Martinus Beijerinck
c. Louis Pasteur
d. Adolf Mayer
Answer: b. Martinus Beijerinck
4. Which of the following is a motile bacteria?
a. Salmonella typhi
b. Kleibseilla pneumonia
c. Bacillus anthracis
Answer: a. Salmonella typhi
5. Bacillus is an example of:
a. Gram-positive bacteria
b. Gram-negative bacteria
Answer: a. Gram-positive bacteria
6. Amoebic dysentery in humans is caused by:
b. Amoeba proteus
c. Entamoeba coli
d. Entamoeba histolytica
Answer: d. Entamoeba histolytica
7. Which of the following causes malaria?
Answer: a. Plasmodium
8. Which of the following statement is correct about Cytochromes?
a. Pyridine nucleotides
b. Fe++ containing porphyrin pigment
c. Mg containing pyrrole rings
d. None of these
Answer: b. Fe++ containing porphyrin pigment
Recommended: Microbiology Online Practice Test
9. Which of the following mordant is used in Gram staining?
a. Crystal violet
d. All of these
Answer: b. Iodine
10. What species causes East African sleeping sickness?
Answer: b. Trypanosoma
11. What type of staining is gram staining?
a. Simple staining
b. Differential staining
c. Negative staining
d. None of these
Answer: b. Differential staining
12. Gram staining procedure of bacteria is based upon the physical properties of…?
a. Cell wall
b. Cell membrane
Answer: a. Cell wall
13. Which of the following organisms is completely non-parasitic?
b. Sea anemone
Answer: b. Sea anemone
14. Which of the following causes Aspergillosis?
Answer: d. Fungi
15. Which of the following is concerned with autolysis?
c. Golgi bodies
Answer: b. Lysosomes
16. Which bacteria components are least likely to contain useful antigens?
b. Cell wall
Answer: c. Ribosomes
17. Which contains structures composed of n-Acetylmuramic acid and N-acetylglucosamine?
Answer: c. E.coli
18. The biological activity of endotoxin in gram-negative bacteria is due to the presence of…?
Answer: d. Lipopolysaccharides
19. Which of the following statement is correct about the prokaryotic cell membrane?
a. Prokaryotic cells have a nucleus
b. Contains metabolic enzymes
c. Contains proteins and phospholipids
d. All of these
Answer: c. Contains proteins and phospholipids
20. Which of the following bacteria is the most common cause of diarrhea?
a. Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli
b. Enterococcus faecalis
c. Streptococcus pyogenes
Answer: a. Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli
21. Which of the following is best diagnosed by serologic means?
a. Q fever
c. Pulmonary tuberculosis
Answer: a. Q fever
22. What is the reason that Prokaryotic cells are more resistant to osmotic shock than eukaryotic cells?
a. They are selectively permeable
b. Their cell wall is composed of peptidoglycan
c. They contain osmoregulating porins
d. They block water molecules from entering the cell
Answer: b. Their cell wall is composed of peptidoglycan
23. In which bacterial genus sterols are present in the cell membrane?
Answer: b. Mycoplasma
24. What is the most common bacteriophage used in phage display?
d. λ phage
Answer: c. M13
25. Which of the following structures holds genes for enzymes and antibiotic resistance?
d. Plasma Membrane
Answer: c. Plasmid
26. The linking of antibiotic resistance gene with the plasmid vector became possible with which of the following enzymes?
a. DNA ligase
b. DNA polymerase
Answer: a. DNA ligase
27. Which of the following is incorrect regarding endotoxins?
a. Endotoxins are secreted from cells.
b. Can be linked to Meningococcemia
c. Produced by gram-negative microorganisms
d. Can cause fever
Answer: a. Endotoxins are secreted from cells.
28. What is the incorrect association between microorganisms and the appropriate isolation media?
a. Fungi → Sabourand’s agar
b. Neisseria gonorrhoeae → Pink colonies media
c. Haemophilus influenza → Chocolate agar
d. Mycobacterium tuberculosis → Lowenstein-Jensen agar
Answer: b. Neisseria gonorrhoeae → Pink colonies media
29. What is the correct association between diseases and bacteria?
a. Cellulitis → Pasteurella multocida
b. Tularemia → Francisella tularensis
c. Gastritis → Heliobacter pylori
d. Lyme disease →Yersinia pestis
Answer: d. Lyme disease →Yersinia pestis
30. Which of the following statement is incorrect regarding Staphylococcus aureus?
a. S. aureus is related to inflammation
b. S. aureus can cause pneumonia
c. S. aureus can lead to acute bacterial endocarditis
d. S. aureus does not make coagulase
Answer: d. S. aureus does not make coagulase