1. Who is the father of plant tissue culture?
Answer: b. Haberlandt
2. The growth of plant tissues in artificial media is called?
a. Gene expression
c. Plant tissue culture
d. Cell hybridization
Answer: c. Plant tissue culture
3. Production of secondary metabolites requires the use of?
b. Cell suspension
c. Meri stem
d. Auxiliary buds
Answer: b. Cell suspension
4. Synthetic seeds are produced by encapsulating somatic embryo with:
a. Sodium chloride
b. Sodium alginate
c. Sodium acetate
d. Sodium nitrate
Answer: b. Sodium alginate
5. Hormone pair required for callus to differentiate are…?
a. Auxin and cytokinin
b. Auxin and ethylene
c. Auxin and absiccic acid
d. Cytokinins and gibbering
Answer: a. Auxin and cytokinin
6. DMSO (Dimethyl sulphoxide) is used for:
a. Gelling agent
b. Alkylating agent
c. Chelating agent
Answer: d. Cryoprotectant
7. Which one of the following is most widely used for protoplast fusion?
d. Polyethylene glycol
Answer: d. Polyethylene glycol
8. How cybrids are formed?
a. Fusion of two different nuclei
b. Fusion of two same nuclei
c. Nucleus of one specie but cytoplasm from both parent species
d. None of these
Answer: c. Nucleus of one specie but cytoplasm from both parent species
Recommended: Plant Tissue Culture Online Practice Test
9. What is a callus?
a. Tissue that forms embryo
b. Insoluble carbohydrate
c. Tissue grows from embryoid
d. Unorganized actively dividing mass of cells maintained in culture
Answer: d. Unorganized actively dividing mass of cells maintained in culture
10. Which part of the plant is used for culturing?
Answer: b. Explant
11. Which growth hormone produses apical dominance?
Answer: a. Auxin
12. To obtain the haploid plant, we culture:
a. entire anther
d. Apical bud
Answer: a. entire anther
13. Which of the following causes somaclonal variations?
a. Caused by mutagens
b. Produce during tissue culture
c. Caused by gamma rays
d. Induced during sexual embryogeny
Answer: b. Produce during tissue culture
14. Which of the following plant cell will show totipotency?
a. Xylem vessels
b. Sieve tube
d. Cork cells
Answer: c. Meristem
15. What is the reason for the formation of embryoid from pollen grain in tissue culture medium?
a. Cellular totipotency
c. Test tube culture
d. Double fertilization
Answer: a. Cellular totipotency
16. What is the main application of embryo culture??
a. Clonal propagation
b. Production of embryoids
c. Induction of somaclonal variations
d. Overcoming hybridization barriers
Answer: d. Overcoming hybridization barriers
17. In tissue culture of parenchyma, mitosis is accelerated in the presence of:
a. Both auxin and cytokinin
Answer: a. Both auxin and cytokinin
18. Somaclonal variation appears in…?
a. Plants exposed to gamma rays
b. Plants growing in polluted soil or water
c. Plants raised in tissue culture
d. plants growing in highly polluted conditions
Answer: c. Plants raised in tissue culture
19. Which of the following technique is used widely to obtain haploid plants?
a. Anther culture
b. Leaf culture
c. Root culture
d. Bud culture
Answer: a. Anther culture
20. In plant tissue culture, the callus tissues can be regenerated into complete plantlets primarily by altering the concentration of…?
b. Amino Acids
d. Vitamins and minerals
Answer: c. Hormones
21. Which of the following vectors is used in crop improvement and crop management??
Answer: c. Agrobacterium
22. Which of the following growth hormone is responsible for apical dominance?
Answer: b. Auxin
23. Choose the Incorrect statement about sterilization in plant tissue culture:
a. Explants can be sterilized with alcohol
b. Instruments such as tweezers need to be sterilized with alcohol
c. The medium needs to be autoclaved
d. Hands need to be disinfected with alcohol
Answer: b. Instruments such as tweezers need to be sterilized with alcohol
24. Which of the following is not an application of plant tissue culture?
a. Micropropagation of plants
b. Rapid Clonal Propagation
c. Resistance to Weedicides
d. Embryo rescue
Answer: d. Embryo rescue
25. Cryopreservation is a process that preserves organelles, cells, tissues, or any other biological constructs by cooling at:
a. Very low temperature by using ether
b. Very high temperature by using liquid nitrogen
c. Very low temperature by using liquid nitrogen
d. Very low temperature of -196 by using liquid nitrogen
Answer: d. Very low temperature of -196 by using liquid nitrogen
26. A medium that is composed of the chemically defined compound is known as:
a. Synthetic media
b. Natural media
c. Artificial media
d. Chemical media
Answer: a. Synthetic media
27. Which of the following plant cells will show totipotency??
a. Xylem vessels
b. Cork cells
d. Sieve tube
Answer: c. Meristem
28. Choose the correct definition of plant tissue culture:
a. The technique of growing plants in gardens
b. The technique of in vivo growing cells
c. The technique of in vitro maintaining and growing cells
d. The technique of cutting plants
Answer: c. The technique of in vitro maintaining and growing cells
29. Which of the following statement is not related to embryo culture?
a. Making virus-free plants
b. Multiplication of rare plants
c. Developing seedlings
d. Growth of embryos on culture medium
Answer: a. Making virus-free plants
30. Choose the correct statement about somaclones:
a. Plants genetically identical to the original plant
b. Plants morphologically identical to the original plant
c. Plants anatomically identical to the original plant
d. Plants chemically identical to the original plant
Answer: a. Plants genetically identical to the original plant